Monday, June 02, 2008

Beagle and Beans

Things are quiet at the moment but then the Beagle is sleeping so they should be. But then it might be my own fault. You see my mother found this acai berry juice that is good for all kinds of things. We were curious and its not like my mother to try this power juices but this one tastes really really good. I tried the full dosage for two days and ended up with a rush that caffiene would envy. I cut my dosage in half and gave a capful to the Beagle to see if it helped him.

Within tow days, I was pulling him off the top of the toilet, the table and pulling him out of mischeif everytime I turned around. To my astonishement, yesterday he picked up a toy wanting to play. He hasn't done that in years. Pick up a toy and trot it to the fridge and drop it for his carrot or milk? Yes but to play no. I've noticed little things like, he now sleeps through the night without needing to go out. He is breathing better and acting like he is much younger. His eyes have cleaned up and his energy seems to have picked up. Its only been two weeks.

Hubby was a little miffed when he found out I was giving some to the dog. I explained I was sharing my dosage with him. He hasn't said much but I know his co-workers think I'm a little daffier than before. The way I look at it is, is a capful of berry crap three times a day, lets me sleep at night without having to get up and open a door (or getting that lovely winter chill when your still half asleep) then to me its bloody well worth it. If it gives him a wee bit more of a comfortable old age and a bit more quality of life then I'm happy. To be honest, it makes things a little easier with him and to me, who deals with him and the other four on a daily basis, its worth it.

So I think my garden is in. Now we will see what happens. I had started everything in my one greenhouse. Hubby didn't seem that intent on putting in this garden and I'm panicking because I have sprouts and no where to put them. So I come up with a back up plan just in case. Well back up plan is now the garden. So here is what I did. We dragged the second greenhouse over by the first, lifted the sod, turned the dirt and planted the peas and root veggies. I figure with five dogs running around the yard, under cover is the safest place for the plants. I was so exicited to see the radish start to poke up. the nice thing about the green house they are in, is the two ends roll right up, so on the hot days they will get lots of sun and air but they will be protected from dogs and wind.

In the first green house, I have zucchini, cukes, tomatoes, peas, bean, peppers, herbs and pumpkins. The pumpkins haven't sprouted yet so we will see but then they take a little longer than the rest. Mom gave me some strawberries plants. They were in tons of dirt and it was cool, raining and muddy when I put them in their bed. They never stressed at all. In our circular garden in the back I have lettuce and herbs plants in flowers and my rhubarb.

I spent four hours in my front beds cleaning out the grass roots and other weeds. I now understand the meaning of Grassroots. Some of the roots I ripped out extended the entire length of the flower bed. There is more dirt than plants but at least its decluttered dirt. My view of weeding is to declutter rather than actully weeding.

Speaking of which, I do have to get into the roses sooner or later. It might as well be sooner. Then I can finally curl up with my book, pond side with a strong cup of coffee...I think I'll go attack the roses.

4 comments:

The Joyful Artist said...

Take it from me ya'all I am going to have to duc tape Housewife to the garden furniture to get her to sit down long enough to read. Now remember Housewife and I have been friends for years and I can attest to the fact that, in the past that the odd time, cobwebs could form on her. Now it was not her fault that she was in pain 24/7 and couldn not do stuff like she does now. But I have slowed down with age, lost my sex drive and put on weight. Mrs. Housewife though I love her dearly is making me look bad. What do you all suggest I do?

Artist

GrannyDiane said...

I love you two! Wish I lived closer to be able to see the things going on in your lives.

Sue J said...

That elixir of youth sounds good. I'm taking Apple Cider Vinegar daily and that's doing wonders for me too. Is it fibro you suffer from? I seem to remember something about that. Check out this site:
http://www.earthclinic.com

All natural remedies for things and lots of testemonials.

Will you be opening a roadside stall for the veggies??? Or will you sell over the net? It's the best thing you can do for your health to grow your own stuff. I'm expecting photos to appear when they start cropping :-)))

Anonymous said...

Photo's will be coming shortly.

I have thought of combining the marketing of my writing with the road side stall. You know, buy my book, you get a free bean.

And as for the cobwebs,it was more like a layer of dust. It was first thought I had fibermyagla (sp?)but in actual fact I was pre osteoarthritis in my twenties which has led to some damage and I certainly didn't help it in my thirties (the cobweb days) After the change in food, attitude and how I manage my pain, the layers of dust started to get vacuumed.

An Artist, you never look bad. Frustrated, exasperated, exhausted, ready to throttle but never bad.