Saturday, September 30, 2006

Vacuum Wrestling and Other Sports

Is it just my vacuum or to they all have this penchant for tipping over while reaching with the hose? I love my Hoover because its not a canister. I am so done with those. Not only are they awkward to use but to put away as well especially in a house that does not have any closets in any rooms. I used to store it in the upstairs bathroom but as it was the only closet before its transformation, it would fill up the tiny space. In the middle of the night, it proved to be a quick wake up after stumbling, tripping and stubbing a toe.

So now I have an upright which I absolutely love. It fits in the wardrobe, it isn't as heavy to carry and it actually has suction. But then there is the wrestling sessions to get it to reach where it needs to. The vacuum doesn't paticularily care where it puts up a fight. Its favourite spot would be the stairs for added excitement.

I have discovered other household sports during my housecleaning. There is laundry shot put. The rules are, you must have a bundle at least twice the size you are and hurl them down the stairs. The aim is to get all the laundry on the floor and not on the steps. You have as many tries as you do the bundles. Little bundles don't count because you can throw them farther. I have never hit my target. For those of you who do not have stairs, try your hallway and then little bundles would count.

If I am really in a daring mood, there is always Hot Water Dipping. You fill a sink for cleaning with only hot waterand soap then dip the cloth in to wipe or clean something. The aim is to endure the hot water for as long as possible before adding cold water. You get extra bonus's for how many hot water dips you can do.

Sweep dancing is good if you want to exercise and clean at the same time. The rules are, the brush must have contact for 90% of the song no matter what is playing. Artist came in on one such occasion but I don't think she caught me. I'm positive she wouldn't have let that one go.

My daughter was very good at the Phonecord High Jump. We have a cordless but I got tired of losing it or the battery dying so we picked up a replica of the old phones to sit out. It ties in with the antiques and doesn't look out of place. If I am on it the jack cord is very long so I can move about down stairs. Depending on my location the phone cord at times can be taut and about 6 to 7 inches off the floor. My daughter only tripped once over the cord but ever since then she has managed to reach even higher heights. I'm so proud.

I personally like the Clothesline Crunch. That's where you bend for the laundry basket and reach for the clothesline, then stretch for the clothes pins. Its a seasonal type of aerobics. Doesn't work the same with the dryer, but I'm working on that.

1 comment:

Sue J said...

I have a 'way cool' little dustbuster jobbo for the stairs. It is not a re-chargeable and has a 6 metre cord and reaches a loooong way. I bought it to suck up the bird seed and feathers around the budgie cage. By rights my bird should be bald by now!