Sunday, August 31, 2008

Adventures in Nature

Yesterday Hubby and I joined Artist and her Hubby out at friends of theirs. They have a beautiful piece of property just outside of town. It reminded me of growing up in Prince George BC. There were areas of the city still undeveloped bush and as kids we would play in these areas. But thirty years ago I was a little more agile and immune to thistle thorns. After ignoring the warning the trail might be a bit overgrown Artist, Hubby and myself wander off into the bush.

I wouldn't call the trail we followed overgrown because, Artist's dog had no problem. Of course he is much shorter and could go under the fallen trees. We on the other hand had to climb over the deadwood. The idea of following the dog home was a good idea, but he could get through places we couldn't. Of course Hubby was in his limelight. I was waiting for the point of when Hubby put his ear to the ground to listen for signs of humanity to get us out of nature. I don't mind communing with Nature, I just don't like the bugs, thorns and the possibility of running into something with a nastier attitude than me. But Nature doesn't really like communing with me. I pulled out three little nettles from my behind and I know there is at least three more.

Artist had her camera with her so she was taking pictures. The coolest place we found was a little beaver hut. Which would explain all the fallen trees blocking the overgrown trail. On the way back we had to climb over two large trees with spiny branches sticking up over the first (thanks to our national animal). They were handy for the step up and balancing along the trunk but the second log had none. Hubby uses a sapling to help balance and Artist did like wise. I follow suit thinking she is handing me the branch. Nope its swaying to and fro in front of me and the frickin' tree is out of reach. I try to grab it but I start to lose my balance. Artist turns around and I think how sweet she is coming back. Nope! She raises her camera up laughing at me 'cause I'm stuck on a log. I reach for a thin little branch and slowly bend the tree towards me for a better grasp. But I'm laughing so hard at the stupidity of the situation I can't see. I'm stuck on a log with thorns in my bottom, trying to reach for a tree without falling and Artist, my bestest friend in the whole world, is taking a picture. Hubby of course was way ahead wondering what the hell was the problem.

The good news is there was a cup of coffee waiting for me inside Artist's trailer when we got back. That was a damn good cup of coffee too after that twenty minutes of hell in the back woods. Hubby was talked into paintballing with the other big boys. I kept waiting for the screams of pain but not was ever forthcoming so I relaxed. When the men emerged a few had blue paint splattered over them, then I saw Hubby. I demanded to know who picked on my Hubby. He held up his face shield that had a splat right on the forehead. The grin on his face said it all.

It was nice to be surrounded by...well...nice people. And as for Nature, I'll stick to the wilds of the fishpond.

No comments: