Friday, October 29, 2010

Coffe Break #1835

So Hubby comes home the other night and announces he bought a hot water heater. An electric hot water heater. We just put in the one that we had stored for five years in a couple of months ago. One can imagine my surprise at another one coming in the door. His plan now is to convert the house to electric power only. Great idea Einstien but what happens during a black out? My idea was to have an alternate heat source like...say...maybe...Wood that is renewable and I can cook on. Silly me, I forgot, there's the fire pit in the back yard. And if it happens in the winter there is all the snow we can melt. I'll probably play it safe and avoid the backyard for snow collecting.

I've had to do it before. But getting water from snow is like making ketchup. Your canner will be full of snow and the end result is a quarter of what you had before. But it was a good thing I had listened and learned to boil every flake of snow for more than five minutes. Why? I'm not sure but its what my Gramin told me to do and I did it.

I compare snow to ketchup because ten pounds of tomatoes resulted in two pints of Ketchup. Now the taste is worth it. The exploding jar, the not so right ingredients, completely ignoring the recipe and having to learn how to actually can a jar was all worth it. Except for the fact it took me all day making two little batches resulting in two jars to show for my effort. Hubby only reinforced the feeling of defeat when he looked at the ketchup and said "That's it? You look like there should be more." Isn't he a darling.

I will be glad when this play is over. I can feel my brain wanting to have its rest. I just have to keep going until next Saturday when it last curtain call. Its been very hard work this play for the main characters. Mine was only a bit part, thank God because sitting in the president's chair for the next two years is going to be grueling enough without the added stress of a production.

I've already managed to tick of three other executives in my over enthusiasm to get things done and have rethought packing it in, at least twice and I've only held the chair for little over a month. Its that retoric in the back of my head "What the %^&$ was I thinking?" I wasn't. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But I took it on and so forge ahead I will. Tally Ho and all that crap. My English ancestors just flipped in their graves. The Italian side is cheering me on. I think I'm worried.

1 comment:

Sue J said...

You'll be fine. Just relax.
With regards to the 'all electric' plan, make sure you buy a camping stove and a gas bottle for emergencies - you probably have one anyway as I know you camp. Then at least you can make coffee when the lights go out - and even beans too.