Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

So today is Mother's Day and my daughter came over with the neatest looking vase with a bamboo thingy coming out of the top. The vase has all the colours of the house. It was kind of neat because while my daughter was visiting my Mom came over. It was really neat because it was just the three of us. We just had coffee and were talking about stuff.

You see my daughter has always felt a little different from everyone else. She is petite, dark, with exotic eyes that can be dark and broody or innocent and light depending on her mood. She has always had the ability to see into the very soul of people and know their innermost fears and secrets. I have been told often enough by people how beautiful she is and how sweet she is. The latter is usually a wee bit of a shocker for those who meet me first and then my daughter or visa versa. I do explain the sweetness has never been credited to my bloodlines.

I am very proud as a mother of my daughter, cause somewhere alone the line I did something right. She is an independant young woman, with a high set standards and a back bone. She is true to herself and to others because of it. Exactly like my mother. Both have a strong sense of right and wrong. Both have a strong sense of identity and both feel at times like they are(as my mother so eloquently put) floating leaves on water.

I had to laugh, my sister repeated a story to me of her trip into the city with my parents. My father was discussing my daughter's passion for reading and her choices being of a university level. He did not understand her not wanting to go to school but prefering to just read. He couldn't figure out where it came from. My mother who is sitting there just looked at him. My sister is saying, "Hello, have you met Mom?"

My mother is a voracious reader like my daughter. My mother has read books, like Mien Kemf in order to understand the thinking of such a man like Hitler. I won't get into the books on the concentration camps. Those I could not get past the first two or three chapters without feeling sick to my stomach. For a while she read a lot on forensics and serial killers where I got my fascination from it. (Way before CSI) But then she went back to the...well you know. Some of my mother's so called fluff reading or mind candy was more like pea soup fog. Certainly not what I call mind candy.

My daughter is the same way. She was reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelly's Frankenstien for fun. She ploughed through Jane Ayre because she loved the BBC series of it. She then read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The woman at the bookstore spent an hour telling me how well read my daughter is and how intelligent her choices are. I'm in there buying futuristic romance keeping abreast of what out there. Yeah there's a moment I don't need to recapture.

I told my daughter that right now in her life the person who understood her the most was her Grandmother. I think its important to have that in your life. It doesn't matter who, but as long as there is somebody that can identify you or you with them it will make the rough patches a little easier. It makes some of the scary stuff not so scary.

What is really cool is watching two floating leaves connect. With my mother and daughter its rather like watching two souls communicate on a level that you know you can't reach and they are sharing an inside joke and nobody else will ever understand.

Yeah...its a good day.







No comments: