Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Victory Garden?

How I love my Hubby. Let me count the ways. He is driving me insane these last few days. the other night he came home in a flap about an article he read in Macleans on the food shortages coming up and how beef is going to be at $23.00 a pound in in Canada. According to the article places like Australia are already in a crisis. One of the reasons is because China is demanding the North American Diet.

Okay, now I remember the same scare in the nineties and eighties. My mother said it was also in the seventies. My problem with the article is this; They splash theis huge alarmist promo on the front cover then you have to hunt for the article of five pages which is all doomsay. What ticked me off was the fact the articles surrounding this huge feature (that you have to find) are on the Oscars, a broke Canadian Actor and of course children who are taught a blood sport as a means of fighting. The article that really slayed me was on the coffee beans of Brazil. In the event of a food shortage you would think that how Brazil makes lousy coffee and grows the finest would be moot point.

So in light of this we are putting in a garden. farmer Brown that I married has never done a lick of gardening in his life. How to I know this, because growing up, Hubby spent his time with his Dad in the sawmill. I have the added advantage of listening to his mother who commented that she never had help with the garden with the exception of the odd daughter. So with this in mind we trudge along planning out everything. Of course I have no storgae, my freezer is only the top foot and a half of my fridge and no cold room or storage but hey, we are to grow a garden. this is of course, surmising that we will actually grow something.

The results will be interesting to say the least. That is if our marriage survives the forray into gardening. Or the blog as he sits and reads it.

It will make for an interesting summer. They way I look at it, I will providing my mother and other gardeners with plenty of entertainment. I'm looking forward to that one tomatoe and leaf of spinach. but hey, at least I will be able to say, look what I grew.

2 comments:

GrannyDiane said...

Good luck with your garden! If my husband were alive he could give you good tips. He had a huge garden when he was younger and in better health. :) I bought a EarthBox and grew tomatoes that way 2 years in a row. That's the only gardening I can do. LOL! Keep a smile on and give your hubby a big hug. My thoughts are with you.

Sue J said...

I would LOVE to grow my own veggies. My husband is no gardener either, but he likes it to look nice. I often wonder how derelict the place would look if I hadn't taken on the gardener's hat. I wasn't born knowing how to garden, but that is the assumption. Of course, I have acquired a great deal of knowledge over the years, but I don't have much luck with veggies. For a start the soil is sand; then the insects get most of anything you plant. I do have a fig tree in a pot - love fresh figs and I have two capsicum plants out the back that are still alive. No produce yet, but.
A good spray to keep greeblies off your veggies is garlic and chilli. Put a teaspoon of each in a jug with a litre of water; let it steep overnight; strain it and add a few drops of washing up liquid and put it in a spray bottle.
The reason meat is expensive in OZ is not down to the farmers, it's more to do with Coles and Woolies having 99% of the market, and putting huge markups on everything to keep the shareholders happy. The drought IS taking it's toll on farming though.
Are you going to have organic, free-range chooks?? If you do, don't give them names or you won't be able to neck them.
I look forward to the installments of 'The Good Life'. :-))))