Sunday, December 23, 2007

Home and rambling

We arrived home last night, tired, peopled out and I will add starving. I will sum up the week by saying it ran the gauntlet of emotions for all involved including the Beagle. I tried to help out as best I could but I felt as though I was more in the way. Daughter stayed home and helped out our dog-sitter who spoiled the dogs rotten. (Worse than Hubby) There was two ceremonies, one for the family and one for the town. Another funeral was being held the day of the town's. The somberness was felt throughout Chetwynd on Friday. The nice thing was though, each ceremony for Dil was uplifting in the end and just as Dil would want it, stories of 'how it was' emerged. I met some of the characters of these stories and their versions were a little wilder. It was a mixture of tears and laughter...but mainly the latter.

I decided Friday night after the last ceremony would be a good time to break my toe by dropping a can of lysol on it. (I did mention we ran the gauntlet of emotions. I just didn't mention that feeling utterly stupid was one of them.)

I got up earlier than usual this morning determined to but some happy back in the house just temporarily for Christmas. I had nothing baked for Christmas so I decided to get something in the oven. Hubby woke up to the smells of short bread and crackerjack cookies in the air. The dogs of course were lovingly staring at me as the drool puddled on the floor. I guess I will have to figure out where I can fit dog cookies somewhere in between the other stuff.

I do have one little vent. At the reception of the service for the town, I was sitting with Hubby as he was talking to another relative, these two women approached probably in their later (much later) forties. The one looked at me and remark in shock how much weight I have lost in a disgusted tone and then asked if I knew her. She looked vaguely familiar but I really couldn't place her and I guess the expression on my face showed that. Then she tells me she worked on my daughter's teeth. Like that helped. Then she nods and repeats herself. Silly me, I was expecting a name. I shook my head and gave a half apology I think or I might have just turned away I really don't remember but I was dismissive and unresponsive to her. She went away, thank god. I was told who she was later and then on the way home I remembered who she was. She decided that my older sister would make a good target for bullying in a dentist's office. I had felt a slight twinge of guilt for not recalling her but not after I figured out who the ............(apply any noun that you deem nasty) was. I reminded myself she was one of the reasons we left.

Its so good to be home.

2 comments:

The Joyful Artist said...

You did all you could to support your lovely hubby and continue to do so. I am happy you and I are both home and that things are back to normal on our street. Because Home (and the street that you live on) is where the heart is.

Big Hugs
Cin

GrannyDiane said...

Well, finally decided to get a blog, but have nothing to write about. Things are pretty quiet here in RI.